About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Friday, April 10, 2020

A to Z Challenge 2020: I is for Iceland


I have been fascinated with Iceland since I was a kid. Mainly, I have always wondered why it's named Iceland when it's mostly green and why Greenland wasn't named Iceland instead. Well, I researched this online and found different stories. As it is, both countries were named by Vikings.

Allegedly, Iceland was named so to discourage other people to visit (conquer). The horses that live there today are descendants from the original Viking equines. While a somewhat "newer" country (settled in the 800's), it has the oldest European parliament grounds.

According to the Global Peace Index, Iceland was the safest country in 2019 and had held this distinction for over a dozen years. The Imagine Peace Tower, created by Yoko Ono in memory of John Lennon, is located in Videy, Iceland. Maybe that's why she chose that location?

Fun fact: Iceland has no McDonalds restaurants. They did at one time, but they closed because it's not financially feasible to operate them there. Imagine that!

Since I'm fascinated by the Northern lights, this card is especially dear to me. I received it in a trade.




5 comments:

Tamara said...

What a creative way of preventing enemies from conquering your country!

I'm fascinated by Iceland as well because of the geysers and volcanoes. I have visited Yellowstone National Park, and I would imagine it'd be somewhat similar.

My I today is about the International Organizations based in Geneva – plus a good sightseeing part.

https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-z-2020-switzerland-international.html

Jade Li said...

It's a beautiful and mysterious (to me) place. I may be wrong, but I think its government is operated mostly by females. Nice postcard!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful Northern lights, I saw some in Alaska, gorgeous!
I is for Improv

Marie Anne said...

Can it even be called a county if there is no McDonald's there? :)

Glorygarden@msn.com said...

Peaceful perhaps but cold as the dickens! I have several friends who insist it is a great place to visit, so....maybe one day.