About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Sunday, March 18, 2018

A to Z Blogging Challenge 2018 Intro



Welcome to my intro post for this year's A to Z blogging challenge. During April 2018, I will post a daily blog, starting on April 1 but skipping the remaining Sundays (because there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and 30 days in April). The first topic will start with the letter A, the second topic with the letter B and so on. And no, we don't skip X (that's the fun part to come up with something to fit that letter). These will all fall under the theme "postcards" this year.

A little over a year ago, I found out about Postcrossing. It's a website that allows users to exchange postcards. You send a postcard to a random person worldwide, and once it gets there, someone else in the world draws your address and sends one to you. You won't know where it's coming from until it arrives in your mailbox.

A few months later, I found two other postcard exchange sites, Postcard United and Postcard Hub. They are way less sophisticated but use the same concept. I am also part of a postcard exchange group on Facebook and a postcard exchange/discussion forum on Goodreads.

Anyway, every day in April (except for three Sundays as specified above), I plan on showcasing a postcard that I have received via one of those methods. Click "Join the Heep" on my main page to get a daily notification.

12 comments:

Hester Ley Nel said...

This looks like a very interesting hobby and I'm looking forward to your posts. I recently received a Christmas card from my friend Maria, three months after it was mailed in Russia (I live in South Africa) This sparked my interest in the "snail mail", as we refer to postal deliveries. I wish you well with this April challenge. You can see my theme reveal at https://www.hesterleynel.co.za/2018/03/19/atozchallenge-2018-opinionated-sexagenarian-theme/ if you are interested in the views of an aging fossil.

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

Sounds like you have many postcards from the swap sites. I look forward to seeing those you have received. :)
Tasha
Tasha's Theme Reveal

Saraallie said...

Wow! I never knew something like that website existed! I've never sent postcards so this theme is definitely going to be interesting to me :)
~ Saraallie
Sara Writes ~ The Crazy Life of a Silly Little Sister

Morgan Cartwright said...

I just signed up for Postcrossing! I can't wait to see what you have gotten from it! Also, I can't wait to get postcards!

JazzFeathers said...

Love this theme!
I am part of an informal online group for the exchange of postcards. Nothing sofisticated, but I'm enjoying it a lot.
Can't wait to see your postcards!

@JazzFeathers
The Old Shelter - Theme Reveal - Weimar Germany

Unknown said...

That is a fascinating idea, the exchange of postcards. Looking forward to seeing what you share. Visiting from
If I Only Had A Time Machine

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

What a lovely theme :) I love postcards, but a lot of mine get lost in the mail somehow... I blame the Hungarian postal system.

The Multicolored Diary: Weird Things in Hungarian Folktales

Random Musings said...

What a unique theme idea, I love it
Debbie

Pamela said...

Looking forward to your posts. I have a huge box of postcards, I should blog about them someday. Thanks for the idea.

Weekends in Maine said...

I had never heard of postcrossing but it sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing what you post from your experiences with your post card exchanges. WeekendsInMaine

Anonymous said...

Love your theme! I love postcards :)

Anonymous said...

I will be interested in your theme this year. I find it harder and harder to find postcards in a drugstore or places you once could pick great images. I love the blog challenge that brings to light so many interesting themes. If you have time, I hope you will come and visit me. I am writing this year about Bookstores...their architecture, location and the wonderful world of books. Happy Blogging. Stephenyhoughtlin.com