About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Friday, April 19, 2019

A to Z Challenge 2019: Q is for Quark


In this case, I am not talking about subatomic particles, I am talking about a German cheese. It's pronounced "kwaarck." It's made from curdled, soured milk to which lactic acid bacteria is added.

If you make it at home, combine a bit of buttermilk with heated milk, let it sit overnight at room temperature, and strain it for a day in the refrigerator. It sounds disgusting, but it looks and tastes like a mixture of sour cream, ricotta and yogurt. Thankfully, it does't have the lumps that ricotta has. I've only eaten the store-bought stuff.

In Germany, Quark is frequently combined with cream cheese to make cheese cake fillings. I used it myself in that manner. I also liked eating it on hearty rye bread with sugar on top. I have not had it since I left Germany, oh about 32 years ago. I am more sensitive to foods now, so perhaps that is a good thing!




2 comments:

Donna B. McNicol said...

Interesting! I have to remember that word and see if Words with Friends will let me use it (always looking for good Q words).

[Dropping in from A-Z]

DB McNicol, author
A to Z Microfiction: Quill

Glorygarden@msn.com said...

So you have never made this yourself? I'd like to try it...just curious.is it made with goat milk?