About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Monday, March 30, 2020

Postcard from Cuba


Cuba seems pretty fascinating to me. For one, it was like a forbidden fruit to people in the USA for over 50 years (trade embargo). Also, I heard that it seems like time stood still there. Most everyone has heard about the throngs of classic cars that navigate the country's roads.

Since I have never traveled to Cuba, I rely on the internet for information. That's why I really wanted a postcard from there. As you can see, the picture of the postcard I received does have that old feel to it, and not only because it's black and white.

I actually did get a postcard from Cuba before this one. It was quite a surprise because it came through a postcard exchange site, and all the sites transactions are random. However, the card didn't have a postage stamp. It had one of those metered stamps.

That's why I traded for this one, hoping I would get a stamp. The trade was arranged for me through a third party, and the sender lives in Chile but traveled to Cuba.  I had no idea what postcard design I was getting. As it is, it's the Museo Bellas Artes, which translates to museum of fine art.

He wrote the card on January 31, 2020, and I received it on March 30, 2020. So, that took 58 days, which is not bad. The previous postcard took almost 70 days, I think. The fascinating thing about this postcard is the cancellation. It clearly reads "February 5, 2007" (see picture below).

I think that's fascinating, and I wonder how that happened. Now, you might think that it's a pre-stamped postcard, but it isn't. I received a picture of the stamped side for proof that the trade was sent. On that picture, there clearly was not a postmark. It's a mystery!


No comments: