About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Thursday, April 11, 2019

A to Z Challenge 2019: J is for Jewelry



Oh, but not just any kind. When I say jewelry, I mean handmade stuff with gem beads not the store-bought stuff with faceted gemstones. I love bigger pieces in vibrant colors. Many years ago I visited a new age store and saw a beautiful necklace there that spoke to me. It was made with moonstones and had a mother-of-pearl pendant. Not vibrant, I know, but I loved it. However, it was out of my price range.

Weeks passed, and one day I saw it marked down 50 percent off. After some deliberation, I bought it and still have it. Anyway, I examined it closely and wondered if I could forego the store expense and make jewelry for myself cheaper. This piece didn't have any wire work, it was just beads put together on a string with a toggle clasp at the end. That seemed to be the most difficult part: how to attach the clasp and make the end of the cords disappear.

I did figure out how to do that and have been making jewelry ever since. I did have an online store at one time but wasn't too successful. So I just make the jewelry for myself. I have made a few bracelets but I mostly make necklaces. Whenever I leave the house, I wear one. Even in the winter, under my scarf.

I think I have every color covered too. I really do love my handmade jewelry. Yes, the picture above shows my collection. I try to use beads made from natural materials. There are some exceptions like glass but most of the stuff is "real." I am going to share a little secret with you how to tell if a stone is real, not man-made: hold it against your cheek. If it feels cold, even at the height of summer, it's real. One exception is amber, it feels room temperature.

Here is a list of some of the materials I have used:

Amethyst
Agate
Angelite
Azurite
Apatite
Aventurine
Aquamarine
Amazonite

Bloodstone
Blue Quartz

Carnelian
Calcite
Chalcedony
Chrome Diopside
Chrysoprase
Citrine
Coral

Dumortierite

Emerald

Freshwater Pearl
Fluorite

Garnet

Herkimer Diamond
Hematite
Howlite

Jasper
Jade

Labradorite
Lapis Lazuli
Larimar
Larvikite
Lemon Quartz
Lepidolite
Lodolite

Mandarin Spessartite
Malachite
Magnesite
Mother-of-Pearl
Mookaite

Obsidian
Onyx

Peridot
Prehnite

Rhodocrite
Rhodosocrite
Rhodonite
Rock Crystal
Rose Quartz

Sunstone
Sodalite
Sugilite

Tiger Eye
Topaz
Turquoise

Variscite
Vitelline

This seems like a lot but isn't. There's more, but I can't remember everything I have used. It's not really expensive. When you buy gemstone jewelry in stores, you're paying for the labor that went into cutting and faceting the stones. Beads are only a few dollars and you can get them easily online. I've even been to a gem show numerous times.

My favorite gemstone is probably amethyst. Do you have a favorite gemstone?











3 comments:

Conny said...

I have one of your pieces, Alex. I love it, it's so unique.

Glorygarden@msn.com said...

I'm partial to blue topaz but I like most colors. How cool you make them yourself.

Donna B. McNicol said...

Interesting...I have never been a big jewelry wearer but have bought a few interesting pieces for when we cruise. Love Etsy!

My take on J-Jewelry is a bit different...

DB McNicol, author
A to Z Microfiction: Jewelry