About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Friday, June 5, 2015

One Step Closer

A few months ago I posted on Facebook that one of my sonnets was accepted for publication in a book (indie publisher). Now, it's not the first poem I have had published in a good old-fashioned book. However, my prior acceptance, through a different indie publisher, was for a charity anthology and, judging by the majority of the entries, the bar wasn't that high.

I don't mean that in a derogatory way. After all, that is why my freestyle poetry was accepted and as a non-native English speaker I have to start somewhere, not having had any kind of formal training in the English language. I don't think that six years of basic English taught by a German teacher qualifies. Also, this was priorly published material and we all know how hard it is to get existing material re-published.

Alas, this time is different because it involves form poetry. Late last night I received the e-mailed proof. Since it included the manuscript for the whole book, I took the opportunity to read some of the other entries and bios.

Holy cow, I am out of my league. The publisher asked for a three-line bio. I came up with two lame lines because I did not know what to say. Most of the other contributors exceeded that limit, and their bios read like professional resumes. Professors, journalists, doctors, even a professional actor; all with credentials longer than ... well, longer than anything I have except maybe for my list of bills.

Anyway, I took that opportunity to look a couple of the people up. Through this research I found a local poets' society that has contests and locally-held events. Well, locally is a relative term and means in the Chicagoland area. I am not in Chicago proper, I am in the suburbs, but maybe something will come up in my area down the line that I can attend.

So yes, I am excited for several reasons. Once the book is actually released, I will let the cat out of the bag completely.

2 comments:

Glory Lennon said...

How exciting for you! This could lead to so much more. Wishing you good fortune.

Glory Lennon said...

How exciting for you! This could lead to so much more. Wishing you good fortune.