About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Sunday, April 12, 2015

Sunflower Poems for NaPoWriMo Day 12



Todays' prompt on the NaPoWriMo website challenged us to write prose about "our favorite room, place, meal, day, or person" and describe it in great detail. In my case I chose sunflowers. No, they aren't on the list (as a thing), but the prompt is only a suggestion, so I simply modified it a bit.

Unfortunately, I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to poetry, however. I wasn't always like that, but since I started writing professionally (web content), I had to learn to eliminate all unnecessary words. That is one reason why I am even bothering with the NaPoWriMo challenge because I need the balance of having fun with words as opposed to being technical all the time.

Now, I already had a "poem" written a while back about Vanilla Ice sunflowers (they are a white variety). I had a bit of fun with the Vanilla Ice rap song "Ice Ice Baby." So, I dug that back out, but of course the challenge is to write something new. I did that too (it's the first poem), but am giving you the already written one as a bonus, since I think I fell short on the "details" for the actual challenge poem.

Helios anthus does it for me
named for the sun, which I adore
this tall, regal flower indeed
brings sunshine to the fore.

No, that is not the poem, just my intro, lol.

Sunflowers

Elongated petals
the heart of this beauty
you probably know them as yellow,
from acacia, cadmium, canary
citrine, cyber, maize
lemon, titanium to gold.
But they also come
in tones of  orange and red
all the hues of a gorgeous sunset
and even shades of white
all frame dark center part
made up by tiny florets
in spiral patterns
that become rows
of seeds in the fall
What a beautiful contrast.
Leaves as large as a hand
but much rougher
with edges jagged and coarse
line tall, thick stalks
that keep this Herculean grace
reaching towards the sky.

******************

Vanilla Ice Sunflower

Vanilla Ice, baby
all right, stop
collaborate and listen
sunflowers are in with a brand new invention
Vanilla Ice grabs a hold of me tightly
and I had to sow some daily, not nightly
will they grow?
Yo, I don't know
Don't turn off the sun so the seeds can grow
to the extreme would be seven feet tall
weather lit up up with storms, that wasn't cool.

Sprout
rush through the earth despite the gloom
don't let the heavy rains kill like a poisonous mushroom
deadly, when thunder plays awful melody
anything less than success is a felony
love it, don't leave it
you better gain way
you better hit bulls eye
this mom doesn't play
If there's a problem, yo I solve it
check out the seedlings while the sun revolves it.

Vanilla Ice Ice baby

Now that the party is jumping
with the winds kicked in and the rains a'pumping
quick to the point, to the point no faking
the lightning is cooking the ground like bacon
burning them if they're not quick and nimble
I go crazy when I look out the window
they're supposed to grow at least four feet tall
when on a roll they can go to seven
less is good too
as long as the wind doesn't blow them over.

I'm on stand by
ready to say hi
don't stop
No, I'll wait
Keep on hoping they'll grow
Don't bust to the right or left
grow up straight and not slow
so continue as the weather clears
six inch blooms is what they're supposed to have
eight to ten inch spread
and seven weeks until they bloom
hugely prolific, so the packet says
long-flowering helianthus annuus they're called
blooms in color from delicate cream
to soft yellow or off white
low-maintenance annual, don't let me down

If there is a problem yo I solve it
check out the growth as the sun revolves it

Vanilla Ice Ice Baby
word from the mother
I love Vanilla Ice (sunflowers)
Ice Ice, baby
don't be too cold to grow
that's a wrap with a W
word to the flower.

1 comment:

Dawnwriter said...

Hi. Lovely poem on a lovely subject. Reminded me of warm sunshine and yellow flowers swaying in the gentle breeze. It's great to read your work again. I hope you will visit my blog too. It's still in early stages but any feedback would be great. Gulrukh Tausif from Helium dawnwriters.blogspot.com