About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Friday, March 22, 2013

I Write Like ... H.P. Lovecraft?



I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

My friend Red Dwyer's post inspired me to do this. I found out on her website that there is actually a website (see image above) that lets you analyze your writing. I wanted to analyze my latest article because it was one that was fun to write, and it was for a client, but it has not been published yet and I am very afraid of the plagiarism thing. So, I analyzed one of my better articles that I wrote a while back, yet is pretty much true to my voice. If you write, you know that when writing for pay you have to change your voice to suit the client.

Anyway, I found out that I write like H.P. Lovecraft. Uhm ... who is he, I asked myself. Yes, I've heard the name and probably have read something by him, but I've read so much in my life and do so much research for my job that stuff does fall through the lesions in my brain. So I looked him up online and this is what I found:

"Especially known for the sub genre weird fiction"
"He was a sickly child whose parents died insane"
"He was known to remain awake for prolonged periods of time"
"The house he was raised in was extremely dirty"

Wow. I do not write horror-I can't stand that, but I've read about his life and like me, he seemed to be born into a world of darkness and illness. I wonder what will happen if I analyze another piece of my writing ...

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

He's a really good horror writer. Most of his work was created in the 1920's and 1930's. His prose can be difficult sometimes, which is a sign of the times he wrote in, but he's very effective with descriptions and mood.

Red said...

Even the non-horror is good. He was more creepy than what we now consider horror. He is definitely an interesting fellow. ;) Glad you had fun with this one. xxx

Mac Pike said...

Creepy is the mot juste for Lovecraft, allright. I tried 4 different writing samples and found that I write like Raymond Chandler, James Joyce, JRR Tolkien and Chuck Palahniuk.

Now I'm going to try the same sample 4 times.

Mac Pike said...

All four agreed: George Orwell.