About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Gary Moore

If you have heard of Gary Moore, chances are it's because of his ties to Thin Lizzy. My first taste of his music was in the 80s when I picked up the Gary Moore/Phil Lynott extended single Out in the Fields. I was just a teenager then living under a rock, so still never put two and two together. I did not pick up anything again, until a few years ago. That is when I came across Gary Moore again through one of my favorite musicians, John Sloman, whose music memorabilia I collect. I found out that John toured with Gary Moore back in the 1980s. John who? Well, you'll have to wait for another post on that, I am not going to digress ...

I liked again what I heard and did some research. I have learned that Gary Moore seemed more of a solo artist than team player and has an incredible catalog of recordings featuring different styles of music, but his love seemed to be the Blues.

I am surprised I hardly see his name mentioned when music lovers discuss the best guitar players. Of course he was so much more than that: a vocalist, a song writer and all-around artist. That puts him in the "underrated" category for me and a perfect subject for my blog. Sadly, he passed away in February 2011. On April 4 it would have been his 60th birthday.

It was difficult to choose what to post, so I picked one from the top 10 (Black Rose at number 3) that UltimateClassicRock.com chose and one that is one of my personal favorites (Out in the Fields). Interestingly enough, Out in The Fields (my first exposure to Gary Moore) made it to number 2 on their list. In essence, anything that was recorded live shows his skill, so probably the selections don't matter as much as giving the recognition that he deserves.

Out in the Fields



Black Rose

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

He left quite a legacy.

Unknown said...

What a man, and what a musician...

---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012


Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Sharkbytes said...

I was pretty oblivious to the 80s- raising two boys. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge blogs this month.

Red said...

I am with you on the totally underrated tag. So many of the artists from the mid-seventies to the late eighties were written off to the hair band phenomenon. He is definitely a very seriously talented artist. Good choice, Alex.
Red.