About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Thursday, October 27, 2011

Musical Musings - From A-Z


Now, I could not let this month elapse without some kind of homage to my biggest passion in life – music. Music crosses borders and language barriers and remains a constant companion, even when friends, jobs, and relationships do not.

Through discussions with fellow music lovers in the past, I found out that not everyone listens to music the same way. Some pay attention to lyrics, others don’t; some only like a certain sound or tone, others want it all. To me, lyrics have always been important, even before I became a writer. Also, if the singer does not enunciate properly it can inhibit my listening pleasure.

Also, another funny thing is that many people shy away from rock, be it hard rock, classic rock, or melodic rock because it is not their style. Perhaps they are from a different (older) generation or the stereotype of the long-haired, tattooed, drug-using, alcohol-abusing rocker turns them off.

I have put that theory to the test: I used snippets of the lyrics from some of the bands below as my status updates on Facebook in the past and got “likes” and comments from people who never listened to the corresponding music videos I posted (or, if they did, did not make it known via any comments or likes), and whose personal tastes I know to be quite different.

That is not meant as an insult, it is merely an observation and can also work the other way around. However, I do try to listen outside my comfort zone as well and find something there. That is how I found The Outlaws (who made the list), despite being considered Southern Rock, a genre I do not really relate to. So, it seems that even if a set of lyrics speaks to many, the tone and style of music can make a difference. I wonder if this is how good things get lost along the way?

Keeping all these points in mind, I have compiled a list (in alphabetical order) of underrated, unknown or forgotten rock bands and musicians who, in my opinion, have superb song-writing and musical skills. Some names you may recognize and hence not consider them unknown. Why did they make the list? Because I think they should have been bigger and were often overshadowed by similar bands who were more marketing friendly. Others are more of a poppy nature and are more about bringing exposure to unknown or even international artists. Plus, like I said, not everyone listens to music the same way.

Also, this list just scratches the surface and there are many, many, many who should be on it. However, this was compiled under time constraints, so I kept it limited to one band per letter of the alphabet. Do I have too much time on my hands? Not really. Music is my passion and I believe in indulging of one’s (non-destructive) passions in life, it’s that simple. Also, I had help. Thanks go out to Marc F., Mark R., and Missy for their input. I would have liked to make comments on all bands and artists, but this took almost all month to compile as is. I may do something like this again in the future for another blogging challenge. 

They all have links to a favorite video and the corresponding lyrics, if available. If I quoted lyrics, those are the ones that got good feedback. If you click on the band’s name, it will take you to a Youtube video and when you click on the song title, you will get the matching lyrics to that song. I am hoping you may find a forgotten favorite. The rest may of course not appeal to some, or many, or whatever, but music is so subjective anyway. So, live daringly, click blindly, create your own play list, and learn something new. Enjoy!
**********************
Axe - Battles Excerpt: “I searched to find your meaning of the path that I am on, and I hope that my direction will not make me walk alone. I stumble for the answers to the questions that remain, around the world I've touched the sun and now I'm back again.”
Babe Ruth - Turquoise
Dire StraitsTelegraph Road Excerpt “I used to like to go to work but they shut it down got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found
Yes and they say we're gonna have to pay what's owed
We're gonna have to reap from some seed that's been sowed
And the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
They can always fly away from this rain and this cold”
Fair Warning – Take a Look at the Future
Girlschool – 20th Century Boy
Humble Pie – As Safe as Yesterday Is
July – Jolly Mary
King Crimson – Epitaph
Lonestar – From All of Us to All of You
Mountain – Nantucket Sleigh Ride
The OutlawsGreen Grass and High Tides Excerpt: “Those who don't believe me Find your souls and set them free Those who do, believe and love As time will be your key
Time and time again I've thanked them For a piece of mind They helped me find myself
Amongst the music and the rhyme”
Praying Mantis – The Journey Goes On Excerpt: “I have traveled a lifetime alone, but the hunger’s still strong, many years I have searched, never finding my way, through the darkness my journey goes on”
Queensryche – The Lady Wore Black
RocketsLost Forever, Left For Dreaming Excerpt: “You can see it's just a part of livin', That this highway was so unforgivin', Now the sky shall be my limit, And my soul will be travelin' on.”
Sora – Highway to Nowhere Excerpt: “I am on the highway to nowhere I ride alone there on waves of colored sand. I am a man with no nation no destination I take whatever I can.”
ThresholdThe Destruction of Words Excerpt: “You can take away the answers and they’ll still return, but when you throw away the questions, I’ll only learn again.”
Uriah Heep – Pilgrim Excerpt: “Life is an apple with love at the core”
Vanilla Fudge – You Keep me Hanging On
Winterhawk – Black Whiskey
XTC – Making Plans for Nigel
Y&T – Black Tiger
Zager & Evans – In the Year 2525

1 comment:

Glorygarden@msn.com said...

Wow, I've never heard of any of them...will need time to get through this list!