By Alexandra Heep: Author. Humorist. Occasional cat translator. Currently publishing children’s books and writing like it’s 1989—only with fewer mix tapes.
Friday, April 19, 2019
A to Z Challenge 2019: Q is for Quark
In this case, I am not talking about subatomic particles, I am talking about a German cheese. It's pronounced "kwaarck." It's made from curdled, soured milk to which lactic acid bacteria is added.
If you make it at home, combine a bit of buttermilk with heated milk, let it sit overnight at room temperature, and strain it for a day in the refrigerator. It sounds disgusting, but it looks and tastes like a mixture of sour cream, ricotta and yogurt. Thankfully, it does't have the lumps that ricotta has. I've only eaten the store-bought stuff.
In Germany, Quark is frequently combined with cream cheese to make cheese cake fillings. I used it myself in that manner. I also liked eating it on hearty rye bread with sugar on top. I have not had it since I left Germany, oh about 32 years ago. I am more sensitive to foods now, so perhaps that is a good thing!

Interesting! I have to remember that word and see if Words with Friends will let me use it (always looking for good Q words).
ReplyDelete[Dropping in from A-Z]
DB McNicol, author
A to Z Microfiction: Quill
So you have never made this yourself? I'd like to try it...just curious.is it made with goat milk?
ReplyDelete