About Alexandra Heep

About Alexandra Heep: The internet has allowed allowed Alexandra to maintain a semblance of life when encountering an unexpected, lingering health crisis. The Internet is a lifeline which not only allows her to remain connected to friends, but also survive, via writing.While Alexandra Heep is her pen name, she does not hide behind it. Instead, she used it to brand herself on the Internet and to create opportunities.

Alexandra published her first book, a collection of her best poems, on July 11, 2012. You can buy it at Lulu.com

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Monday, December 19, 2016

Heepy's Cookies


Everyone loves cookies, right? Well, not this girl. I find the texture and taste for most of them unappealing and the dough a pain to work with, whether it's for drop cookies, sugar cookies or any other type I've tried to bake. I don't have a food processor. My mixer only has 5 (slow) speeds and no dough hooks. Every time I try to make a batter, I fear I am going to burn up its motor so most of the dough I have to stir with ye olde fashioned spoon. I know, I know, it worked for our mothers and grandmothers.

Still, I try to bake some every year the week of Christmas because my mother did so and it's one of the few pleasant memories I have. Plus, Tommy loves cookies and I love Tommy, so cookies I bake.

Most I find so-so. Until today, that is. I wanted to bake cookies to help heat up the house (due to arctic, polar air or whatever you want to call it), but didn't want to send Tommy out in this cold to get ingredients. So I threw a few things together that I had in the house, and the result was pretty amazing, especially the texture of the cookie.

Curious? Here is what I ended up doing:

I used my blender to grind up oats to make 1 3/4 cups of oat "flour." I mixed it with 1/3 teaspoon baking powder and some Himalayan pink salt. I creamed one stick of unsalted butter, added 1/4 cup of regular granulated sugar, half a cup of coconut sugar, one egg, some orange extract and some vanilla extract. I added the dry ingredients and mixed away.

I dropped them by the teaspoon full on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Also, I had found a white chocolate bar in the fridge. I cut it up into chunks and added them on top of the heaps of dough, then in the oven they went. Bake for 9 minutes at around 390 degrees and enjoy.


1 comment:

Glorygarden@msn.com said...

You sound just like me when I had the time to bake. "Tommy loves cookies and I love Tommy...." Perfect reason to bake. Merry Christmas!